⭐️Students love learning to compare & contrast with these 14 Lexile® certified reading comprehension passages and question sets aligned to 2nd & 3rd grade RI2.9 & RI3.9. Paired passages are perfect for teaching, developing, and reinforcing compare and contrast skills. Students learn to compare and contrast informational texts on the same topic.
⭐️If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for teaching comparing and contrasting skills. Aligns with some state specific standards.
⭐️Includes passages, standard based questions, anchor charts, and two skills focused test passages. Certified Lexile measured close reading comprehension texts are varied within the second and third grade bands.
✏️Lexile Levels – Each qualifying passage contains a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 2nd grade & 3rd grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range for second and third grade is 420L-820L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – Color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages are perfect for comprehensive standard based test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard based essay and multiple choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original passages with high-quality photographs designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
★ Renee K said, “A wonderful product to help my students understand comparing and contrasting in nonfiction texts.”
★ Catie B. said, “A great addition to a comparing and contrasting unit. I loved that I could utilize this resource in a center to focus on informational text, it is so often overlooked! Thank you!”
★ Ashli A. said, “My 3rd Grade students love these reading activities.”
1. How Readers Compare and Contrast Journal page
2. Compare/ Contrast Graphic Organizer
3. Practice Passages & Question Sets
- What to Pack for a Camping Trip- 730L /Camping at Yellowstone National Park- 620L
- Alexandra Scott’s Mission- 780L /Alex’s Lemonade Stand- 670L
- Abraham Lincoln: 16th President- 790L/The Most Influential Presidents in U.S. History- 680L
- Walt Disney’s Career- 760L/Walt Disney: The Man Behind the Magic- 790L
- The Tropical Rainforest- 770L/Cats in the Tropical Rainforest- 560L
- African-American Civil Rights Movement- 810L / Segregation During the Civil Rights Movement- 820L
4. Test Passages & Question Set
- Fresh Food Is Fuel- 760L /Healthy Kids Are Happy Kids- 700L
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.
Compare and Contrast Different Versions of Stories RL.2.9
Compare and Contrast Stories in a Series- RL.3.9
Nonfiction Bundle- 2nd & 3rd Grade Common Core Standards
Other Common Core Reading Comprehension Units
Similar units are available for 1st grade and 4th-5th grade:
Compare and Contrast Two Texts RI.1.9
Integrate Information from Multiple Texts 4th Grade RI.4.9 & 5th Grade RI.5.9