⭐️Students of all reading levels can learn and practice context clues skills with these 24 unique Lexile® certified close reading comprehension passages and question sets that span CCSS Text Complexity Bands for 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th grades.
⭐️Reading comprehension passages are perfect for teaching, developing, or reinforcing context clues skills. Aligned to RI2.4, RI3.4, RI4.4 & RI5.4, Students learn to use context clues to determine the meaning of words and phrases. Differentiation allows scaffolding for each student.
⭐️If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for helping students learn context clues skills.
⭐️Includes standard based questions, anchor charts, and four skills-focused test passages. Questions for passages focus on the specific standard for each grade range.
⭐️Broad differentiation makes this bundle perfect for:
- 2nd & 3rd grade classes with on, and above- level readers
- 4th & 5th grade classes with below and on-level readers
✏️Lexile Levels – Each passage contains a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 2nd grade/3rd grade and 4th grade/5th grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range for second and third grade is 420L-820L and the range for fourth and fifth grade is 740L-1010L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – Color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages are perfect for comprehensive standard-based test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard-based essay and multiple-choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original passages with high-quality photographs designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
★ Rena F. said, “This is a great resource for my students that struggle with vocabulary and using context clues. The articles are short and high interest and they work very well for centers, small group work, or even whole group activities.”
★ Talia E. said, “Loved this resource. Was able to assess students mastery of context clues easily and liked the choices of passages!”
★ Darcy M. said, “My students loved the passages in this set! Thank you!”
1. Word Detective Steps Anchor Chart & Journal Pages
2. Types of Context Clues Anchor Chart & Journal Pages
3. Be a Word Detective Search
4. Context Clue Practice Cards
5. Practice Passages & Question Sets
- How Chocolate Is Made- 540L
- The Life Cycle of a Chicken- 560L
- A Day in My Life, Spain- 570L
- How to Play Go Fish- 600L
- Green Machine Smoothie- 730L
- The Black Widow Spider- 730L
- The History of Basketball- 740L
- The Ancient City of Pompeii- 770L
- Record Breaker: Winter Vinecki- 780L
- The Great Milk Debate- 800L
6. Test Passages & Question Sets
- The Star of the Sea- 730L
- Carnivorous Plants- 780L
1. Be a Word Detective Anchor Chart & Journal Page
2. Types of Context Clues Anchor Chart & Journal Page
3. Historical Text Anchor Chart & Journal Page
4. Practice Passages & Question Sets
- Jazz Music- 780L
- Vampire Bats- 790L
- The New England Puritans- 790L
- Tupac Shakur- 860L
- All About Pickles- 870L
- Plant and Animal Adaptations- 890L
- Gabby Douglas- 900L
- Peer Pressure- 920L
- The Inuit Culture- 930L
- World Wrestling Entertainment- 1000L
5. Test Passages & Question Sets
- The Sunshine State- 790L
- Piranhas- 880L
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.
2nd Grade Reading Comprehension
3rd Grade Reading Comprehension
4th Grade Reading Comprehension
5th Grade Reading Comprehension