⭐️Students of all reading levels can learn and practice main idea skills with these 24 unique Lexile® certified close reading comprehension passages and question sets that span CCSS Text Complexity Bands for 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th grades.
⭐️Reading comprehension passages are perfect for teaching, developing, or reinforcing main idea skills. Aligned to RI2.2, RI3.2, RI4.2 & RI5.2, students learn to identify the topic, main idea, and details of a text, and the focus of specific paragraphs within the text. Differentiation allows scaffolding for each student.
⭐️If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for helping students learn main idea skills.
⭐️Includes standard based questions, anchor charts, and four skills-focused test passages. Questions for passages focus on the specific standard for each grade range.
⭐️Broad differentiation makes this bundle perfect for:
- 2nd & 3rd grade classes with on, and above- level readers
- 4th & 5th grade classes with below and on-level readers
✏️Lexile Levels – Each passage contains a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 2nd grade/3rd grade and 4th grade/5th grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range for second and third grade is 420L-820L and the range for fourth and fifth grade is 740L-1010L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – Color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages are perfect for comprehensive standard-based test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard based essay and multiple choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original passages with high-quality photographs designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
★ Samantha S. said, “Great Resource! The kids were engaged the whole time and loved being able to use their crayons to go back into the text. Thanks for a great product!”
★ Kaitlyn C. said, “Great for differentiation with interesting information that’s students love to read!”
★ Helen B. said, “This was a great resource! I love how the lexiles are included and there is a place for students to write their answers as well as go back and find the answers with a highlighter!”
★ Karen T. said, “My students and I love the format and topics of this resource. The students learn how to be ‘active readers’ and ‘provide evidence’.”
1. Topic, Main Idea, Details Anchor Charts & Journal Pages
2. Main Idea Puzzle
3. Practice Passages & Question Sets
- Mercury- 480L
- Harriet Tubman- 480L
- The Amish Way of Life- 500L
- Bears- 530L
- How to Make Pancakes- 610L
- Anaconda Snakes- 740L
- The Wampanoag Native Americans- 760L
- Thunder and Lightning- 780L
- Ryan Hreljac Makes His Mark-790L
- The Super Bowl- 810L
4. Topic, Main Idea, Details Test
- The Tower of London- 680L
- Labor Day- 760L
1. Types of Main Idea & Details Anchor Chart/ Journal Page
2. Practice Passages & Question Sets
- The Blobfish- 740L
- The Scientific Method- 760L
- How to Resolve Conflict- 800L
- The Three Branches of Government- 880L
- America’s Youngest Ambassador- 880L
- The Sections of the Orchestra- 890L
- The History of Chewing Gum- 920L
- Downloading Digital Media- 960L
- North American Plains Indians- 970L
- The History of Teddy Bears- 980L
3. Test Passages & Question Sets
- Constellations- 750L
- Babe Ruth- 890L
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.
2nd Grade Reading Comprehension
3rd Grade Reading Comprehension
4th Grade Reading Comprehension
5th Grade Reading Comprehension