⭐️These 15 stories, plays & poems and standards based questions are perfect for teaching, developing, or reinforcing third grade fiction text structure skills. Aligned to RL.3.5, students learn to refer to parts of stories, dramas, and poems using terms such as chapter, scene, and stanza, and describe how each successive part builds on earlier sections.
⭐️If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for teaching 3rd grade fiction text structure skills. Aligns with state specific standards like TEKS and VA SOL.
⭐️Includes standard based questions, anchor charts, and two skills focused test passages. Certified Lexile measured close reading comprehension texts are varied within the third grade band.
✏️Lexile Levels – Each qualifying text contains a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 3rd grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range for second and third grade is 420L-820L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – Color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages are perfect for comprehensive standard based test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard based essay and multiple choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original and adapted stories, plays, and poems with custom illustrations to engage students of all levels and interests.
★ Allison R said, “I love the idea that students use colors to identify different parts of the text. In third grade, finding evidence from the text is important. This resource allowed my students to practice this skill in a visual way.”
★ Dawn W. said, “I used this resource for both whole group and small group instruction. The differentiated passages were perfect when reteaching and enriching. The passages were engaging for my students, and the anchor charts were very student-friendly. Great for interactive notebooks as well.”
★ Jackie C. said, “Excellent, excellent, excellent! I used these during small group and reteach sessions.”
1. Text Structure: Stories – Anchor Chart & Journal Page
2. Practice Stories & Question Sets
- Cynthia’s New Start- 550L
- Frankie the Fox- 650L
- The Harris Brother’s Adventure- 670L
- Joanna’s Bat Mitzvah- 740L
3. Text Structure: Plays – Anchor Chart & Journal Page
4. Practice Plays & Question Sets
- No Bullies Allowed
- Captain Davy and the Lost Treasure
- Pocahontas and Captain Smith
- The Bird with the Broken Wing
5. Text Structure: Poems – Anchor Chart & Journal Page
6. Practice Poems & Question Sets
- Rumpelstiltskin by Ken Nesbitt
- A Poison Tree by William Blake
- Jack Frost by Gabriel Setoun
- The Night Wind by Eugene Field
7. Test Structure Test Passages & Question Sets
- Story: The Case of the Stolen Blankie- 640L
- Play: The Shephard Boy Who Called Wolf
- Poem: Brother and Sister by Lewis Carroll
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.
Describe Characters in a Story – 3rd Grade RL.3.3
Nonfiction Text Features – 2nd Grade RI.2.5 & 3rd Grade RI.3.5
Fiction Reading Comprehension Bundle – 3rd Grade
3rd Grade Fiction and Nonfiction Comprehension MEGA Bundle
Similar units are available for 2nd grade and 4th-5th grade:
Story Structure – 2nd Grade RL.2.5
Text Structure in Stories, Poems and Plays 4th Grade RL.4.5 & 5th Grade RL.5.5