⭐️These 18 printable and digital Lexile® certified reading comprehension passages are perfect for teaching, developing, or reinforcing 1st grade connections skills. Google slides version is perfect for Google Classroom integration and distance learning. Aligned to RI.1.3, first grade students learn to describe the connection between two individuals, events, ideas, or pieces of information in a text.
⭐️If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for teaching main idea skills. Aligns with state-specific standards like TEKS and VA SOL.
⭐️Includes standard based questions, anchor charts, and two skills focused test passages. Certified Lexile measured close reading comprehension texts are varied within the first grade band.
⭐️The printable PDF and digital versions are both included with this product for classroom and distance learning needs. The digital version is compatible with Google Drive and Google Slides, and can be downloaded from Google Slides into PowerPoint.
✏️Lexile Levels – Each passage contains a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 1st grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range first grade is 190L-530L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – Color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages are perfect for comprehensive standard based test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard based essay and multiple choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original passages with high-quality photographs designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
★ Jason H. said, “Love these passages!”
★ Paige L. said, “I struggled with teaching this standard. This is so helpful! Thank you!”
★ Christina W. said, “Super helpful and covers many different topics to provide differentiation with teaching this skill!”
1. Connecting Individuals Anchor Chart
2. Connecting Individuals Practice Passages & Question Sets
- Connecting People through Compare & Contrast Anchor Chart
- Zayne and Zander- 280L
- Two Great Presidents- 350L
- Cinderella vs. Snow White- 380L
3. Connecting Information Anchor Chart
4. Connecting Information Practice Passages & Question Sets
- Connecting Information through Compare & Contrast Anchor Chart
- Bees vs. Ants- 260L
- Football and Soccer- 290L
- States of Water- 310L
- Wooly Mammoths- 340L
- Ocean and Wetland Habitats- 390L
5. Connecting Ideas Anchor Chart
6. Connecting Ideas Practice Passages & Question Sets
- Connecting Ideas through Cause & Effect Anchor Chart
- Recycling- 280L
- Exercise Every Day- 320L
- Floods- 310L
- Too Much TV- 400L
7. Connecting Events Anchor Chart
8. Connecting Events Practice Passages & Question Sets
- Connecting Events through Cause & Effect Anchor Chart
- The American Civil War- 280L
- Amelia Earhart- 400L
- Ruby Bridges-450L
- The Invention of the Telephone- 470L
9. Connections Test Passages & Question Sets
- Popsicles- 390L
- Spring and Fall- 400L
Characters, Settings, and Events – 1st Grade RL.1.3
1st Grade Reading Comprehension MEGA Bundle
1st Grade Nonfiction Reading Comprehension Bundle
1st Grade Fiction Comprehension Bundle
Similar units are available for 2nd & 3rd grade:
How Characters Respond to Events and Challenges – 2nd Grade RL.2.3